Random TV Love

Starting 2017 in K-Drama Land

We started the year by hauling ourselves off to SM Seaside thinking the crowd would be manageable. I should’ve known better. When bored at home, people these days flock to malls out of habit. Queuing for a cab was a hellish experience (thank goodness for Grab!) not to mention my sister wasn’t feeling well that day due to indigestion. Good thing we managed to squeeze in a few minutes of playtime for Zack who was raring to try Sky Play.

If there’s one thing I’ll miss about the past few days aside from the abundance of food, it would have to be the time we spent watching K-dramas. Oh yes, no Hallmark movies this time. Most of the US shows we follow are slowly returning from winter break while here we are refusing to leave K-drama land. Haha!

I guess we have Descendants of the Sun to thank for that. When we introduced it to Isa around the last quarter of 2016, no one expected it would suck her back into watching Korean dramas. She enjoyed it so much that we began reviewing every Kim Eun Sook-penned dramas after starting with A Gentleman’s Dignity (hilarious, I tell you). Currently, aside from Goblin which I’m completely besotted with, we’re halfway into City Hall. The latter’s an interesting take into small-town politics which I’m sure many of us can relate to.

By now we have become experts in what we call Kim Eun Sook tropes which tend to recur in each of her dramas. I may actually blog about it one of these days if I can gather enough material for a list-icle. In the meantime, we’re off to continue our K-drama backlog. (Huhu, sorry #OneChicago!)

You Might Also Like

6 Comments

Rea
    January 6, 2017 at 6:51 PM

Happy New Year Rose! I didn’t have time to watch movies during the holiday season. I wanted to watch the MMFF movies but turned out I really didn’t have time at all, haha! And when I finally had time to watch Saving Sally, it was already pulled out from SM in GenSan, sheesh. Anyway, wish you the best this year!

Rose
      January 18, 2017 at 10:19 AM

Happy New Year, Reah! I feel bad I wasn’t able to watch any of the MMFF entries as well. Ganahan tana ko sa Die Beautiful and Seklusyon. But I’m glad there was generally positive feedback for the recent line-up. At last naa nay substance ang story sa mga movies nga naapil.

Richel V.
    January 8, 2017 at 8:46 PM

Happy 2017, Rose! I’m slowly catching up to the American series, but otherwise, I’ve been really busy to watch anything huhu. The only KDrama I have watched is DoTS. Any suggestion for the newbie? Preferably the ones with fewer episodes. Haha!

xx, Richel Goes Places

Rose
      January 18, 2017 at 11:22 AM

Hey Richel! Huhu, I am so behind on my US series na. We haven’t seen any episodes since they returned from winter hiatus since we’re stuck with Korean dramas. If you wanna start watching K-dramas, these are the series I’d recommend you start with: Kim Eun Sook penned-dramas (Secret Garden, City Hall) and those by the Hong Sisters (Master’s Sun, Greatest Love). Goblin will be done this week too! ๐Ÿ™‚

jackie uy
    January 9, 2017 at 11:38 AM

“If thereโ€™s one thing Iโ€™ll miss about the past few days aside from the abundance of food..” HAHAHA so true!!!! My fridge is now empty ๐Ÿ™ But also a good reminder to eat less, and eat healthier! ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a nice week, Rose!

Rose
      January 18, 2017 at 11:22 AM

Hope you’re having a great January too, Jackie! Nakaka-miss ang mga food trips nung holidays. Haha! ๐Ÿ™‚